Thursday, September 22, 2016

Too Troubled To Speak

September 22, 2016

Twice already this past week I sat with my head shaking in hands after reading first of 13-year old Tyre King's death, then of Terence Crutcher's. Tuesday night, I was again bewildered by the death of Keith Lamont Scott. It was too close - the University City area in Charlotte, NC. Less than 25 miles from my house, 13 miles from our church.

Since then there has been rioting, another at death's door (as of the time of this writing), and pleas for transparency to the chief of police. Trust between police forces and communities has eroded not only in Charlotte but nationwide.

Ku Klux Klan activity has become emboldened by leaders whose speech and rhetoric incites division among poor whites and blacks, and among police officers and Black men. This isn't new, but has risen in the past year to a fever pitch.

What do I say? How do I respond? I've read several books and dozens of articles on our history with race and criminal justice. I've become much more aware of the systematic abuses against Black people by our courts, our policing, our country's government, and vigilantes. Something has been wrong for a long time regarding how Black people are treated here. Much of this injustice too easily fades into history. Yet, still today Black people are much more likely to be killed by police than are White people. Between 2010 and 2012, Black teens were 21 times more likely to be shot and killed by police than were White teens in the same period. And this says nothing of the vast inequality between how justice is administered toward people of color compared with whites.

As a Christian minister, I believe in the inherent worth of every human being. I believe we are all God's children. I believe we are all the same. I usually call on my faith to give hope for a way through difficulty and as a strong response to injustice. But my faith fails me to find meaningful ways forward. For a long time, I have struggled with a helpful response the injustices of systematic racism. But I cannot seem to speak. I cry.

I cry aloud to God,
aloud to God; and God hears me.
On the day of my distress I am seeking Adonai;
my hands are lifted up;
my tears flow all night without ceasing;
my heart refuses comfort.
When remembering God, I moan;
when I ponder, my spirit fails. (Selah)
You hold my eyelids keeping me from sleeping;
I am too troubled to speak.
                Psalm 77:2-5

I feel like the psalmist. But as a White minister I must speak. I must ask why does this keep happening? I can understand that officers have to protect themselves and the public. If an officer has an objectively reasonable belief there is a threat to oneself or the public, then legally, lethal force is acceptable, even if the person is walking away or fleeing. But should it be?

To walk in the shoes of a police officer every day is an extremely stressful place to be. Without question that must be acknowledged.  

And the causes of police murder of people must be addressed in serious, concerted ways. One way to address this is to look closely at training of officers. One's biases -- racial, economic, social, political, or otherwise -- have no place of honor among protection of the people. And all people must be protected and treated fairly. Shooting first isn't fair.

I don't believe any police department wants the reputation that is being laid on them because of the bad judgment of a few officers. But the few are becoming all too many.

Ordinary Christian people must find their voice of justice with mercy and speak truth to power. This begins with learning about our own racists ways, including our deep (media-fed) fear of the black male.  It begins with learning about the history of racial abuse and joining under the leadership of our Black prophets to address the systematic targeting, criminalization, incarceration, and killing of black men. The time for silence is past.

Resources:
Charlotte protests erupt over police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, Vox.com, German Lopez, 9/21/2016
The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehesi Coates
Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

Rev. Nathan King is pastor and teacher of Trinity United Church of Christ in Concord, NC. Trinity is a social justice church and fully welcomes all people into its life and work following the ways and teachings of Jesus.

Contact:
Rev. Nathan King
704-224-1653


No comments:

Post a Comment